Departmental Policies

Departmental Policies for Transfer Students

No credit is awarded for community or junior colleges. Credit is considered from a 4-year university if provided with the course syllabus and instructor’s credentials (must be a PhD-holding anthropologist).

Students transferring from accredited community colleges, colleges or universities may apply for transfer credit for Art courses. Generally, elective credit will be given for courses that correspond to those offered in the Art department. Students seeking divisional credit must submit course materials to the department chair or committee for possible approval.

Credit is awarded from accredited 4-year colleges and universities only. This includes 4- year colleges in the community college system. A course description and a syllabus is required when the description is insufficient.

The Chemistry department will accept transfer courses completed by incoming transfer students provided that those courses were taken only at 4-year colleges and universities that offer a major in chemistry. These courses must be equivalent in content and level to courses offered at Wake Forest (as judged by a departmental curriculum committee). Credit will be awarded for only one “General Chemistry” course.

Majors and minors can transfer courses equivalent to EDU 201 and EDU 311 for credit. Such courses must have a description that matches the Wake Forest courses and must involve substantial classroom interaction. No other courses used to meet program requirements can be transferred without approval of the chair.

If a student has taken 2 semesters of introductory economics at their previous institution (ie. Intro to Macroeconomics and Intro to Microeconomics), assuming that the course content is deemed acceptable by the department chair, the student will receive ECN 150 for one course and elective ECN 520 credit for the second course.

** No credit is awarded for community or junior colleges.

** If a student transfers from an accredited college with a course comparable to ENG 111 the student may receive transfer credit provided that the course was taught by regular college faculty on the college campus to degree seeking college students.

** If a student transfers from a college with a two-semester composition sequence, the student will be awarded credit for the successful completion of the second semester course. The English department does not award credit for the first course in a two semester sequence.

** If a transfer student’s official transcript shows that the student exempted from or received credit for composition by exam and ,as a result, took or was eligible to take sophomore literature courses in English, the English Department will honor that exemption from ENG 111, without credit.

** Student must submit a full description of the course, including syllabus and the reading and writing requirements for credit consideration.

** Credit for English 105 is no longer awarded.

All transfer students (with fewer than 23 semester hours) must enroll in and pass (on a graded basis only) a First Year Seminar (FYS). Those awarded 23 or more hours in transfer work must take either a FYS or an alternative course that emphasizes reading, writing and participation in class discussion. The alternative course will be selected after consulting with your academic adviser and with the concurrence of the Office of the University Registrar. The alternative course cannot fulfill other basic, divisional, major or minor requirements nor may it primarily consist of individual research that culminates in a single project of an independent rather than a seminar experience.

The First Year Seminar substitutions for upper-class transfer students are:

HMN 280 – Reason and Revelation

HMN 283 – Foundations of Revolution in Modernity

HMN 290 – Innovation and Inclusivity

WST 321 – Interdisciplinary Seminar

HON 133 – Approaches to Human Experience II

CLA 276 – The Age of Augustus

REL 320 – Search for Jesus

And departmental seminar courses not required for major or minor

It will be the student’s responsibility to email the registrar at, upon completion of the course, as this will require manual adjustment to the degree evaluation.

Humanities will consider for elective credit courses that span two or more disciplines in the Humanities. To be considered for a divisional requirement, the student has to have completed ENG 111 (or the testing equivalent) before the course was taken.

The department chair will review the course for its suitability to be transferred.

A course syllabus and instructor credentials must be provided for community college or junior college courses.

Dual-enrollment courses are not recognized by the department.

To be accepted for transfer credit, a course must have been taken on campus at an accredited 4-year college or university. The college or university must have a philosophy department and must offer a philosophy major.

Courses from two-year colleges, technical institutes, or community colleges will not be accepted for transfer credit.

Usually, the chair of the department will need to see a detailed syllabus in order to evaluate the course for transfer credit.

For a course to transfer as Philosophy 111, it is necessary that its description in the bulletin of the institution where it was taken be sufficiently similar to the description of Philosophy 111 in the Wake Forest University bulletin.

No credit is awarded for courses taken at community, junior or technical colleges. The school must award a major in Physics for a course to be eligible for transfer credit.

Students must provide a syllabus for evaluation, including information about assessment. No courses titled “Intro to Politics” will be accepted for transfer credit.

No credit is awarded for community or junior college courses. A syllabus is required for evaluation (i.e. what textbook was used, what chapters were covered).

Entering students who have taken Religion courses comparable to REL 101, 102 or 103 at an accredited college or university may receive transfer credit. The determination is made after review by the department chair.

** If a student transfers from an accredited college with courses in French, Italian or Spanish, the student may receive transfer credit provided that the course was taught by regular college faculty on the college campus to degree-seeking college students.

** If a transfer student’s official transcript shows that the student was exempted from or received credit for language and/or literature courses in French, Italian or Spanish, the Department of Romance Languages will honor that exemption without credit. In the case of French or Spanish 213 or Italian 215, which are the courses that normally satisfy the Wake Forest foreign language requirement, the exempted course will have to be equivalent to those Wake Forest courses for the exemption to be honored. Transfer students who do not transfer coursework satisfying the Wake Forest Basic Requirements must take the placement exam like all other entering students.

No credit is awarded for community college or junior college courses.

The chair of the department will evaluate each course for transfer credit. A syllabus should be submitted for approval.

Students seeking transfer credit in Women’s or Gender Studies for courses taken at accredited four-year colleges and universities should provide the director with a full description and syllabus for evaluation.