Transfer Student Information

Information Applicable to All Transfer Students

Once a student has been accepted as a transfer student by   the Admissions Office, his/her transcript is sent to the Office of the University Registrar and the transfer process begins. No evaluations are done prior to a student being admitted. Please visit the Transfer Students page on the Undergraduate Admissions website for more information about applying for admission as a transfer student.

  • Credits from a U.S. College or University

    For credits transferred from an American college or university, Wake Forest University will consider only for-credit courses completed at a degree-granting institution of higher education that has been fully accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies (e.g., the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools). Continuing education, “professional development”, or massive open online courses are not eligible for transfer.

    The Wake Forest departments listed below do not accept transfer work from colleges that primarily award associate-level degrees:

    • Accounting
    • Anthropology
    • Biology
    • Business and Enterprise Management
    • Chemistry
    • Economics
    • English
    • Finance
    • Philosophy
    • Physics
    • Sociology
    • Women’s Studies
  • Credits from Foreign Institutions

    Admitted students who are applying to transfer academic credits to Wake Forest from international schools will be required to submit their academic records to an outside credentialing service for evaluation for credit. Instructions for this service will be made available after the student has been admitted to WFU.

    Any expenses required to perform this service will be paid for by the applicant. All decisions regarding credit transfer will be made by Wake Forest University and all decisions are final.

  • Minimum Grades to Transfer Credits

    Credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Courses in which “pass” or “credit” (CR) grades are received must be certified as equivalent to a grade of C or higher to be accepted.

  • Number of Credits that can be Transferred

    Of the 120 hours required for graduation, at least sixty must be earned in Wake Forest programs. There are also limits to the amount of transfer work you can bring into the major. The general rule is that you must take one half of the major at Wake but some departments have more stringent rules. You can direct inquiries about this to the appropriate department.

  • Acceptance of Credits vs. Grades

    Only credits are accepted in transfer. Grades do not transfer and do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average at Wake Forest University.

    Students who transfer from a school on semester hours will have a 1-1 conversion for their approved transfer courses with these limitations:

    • The amount of credit may be limited by the departmental
    • Wake will not award more credit for a transfer course than the credit awarded for the course at Wake (generally 3 semester hours except for math/sciences).
    • Wake will not award more credit for a transfer course than the credit that is awarded by the original institution.
    • Quarter hours will be converted to semester hours by multiplying by 0.67 (4 quarter hours=2.68 semester hours).