Important Information for Students Who have Declared a Major

The site that you use to declare and to change majors, minors and concentrations is in WIN and is familiar to you: Add/Drop Major/Minor/Concentration. As in previous semesters, this site will not be available to students during the period just before and during registration for fall term; this semester the site will close on February 26. However, due to Workday implementation this spring, it will remain closed until the beginning of the fall semester. This means that you need to attend to any changes in major, minor and/or concentration before the site closes on February 26. After this date, all changes for continuing students will be paused until the end of the summer.

So, if you plan to make changes, please consult with your academic advisor and submit your changes before February 26 using the “Add/Drop Major/Minor/Concentration link” in WIN.  (Instructions are here.) You’ll recall that the department may need additional information from you in order to approve your request, so please check email frequently while awaiting approval.

Following approval, review Degree Works for information on degree progress and the courses you’ll need to complete the requirements of your major(s), minor(s) and concentration(s).Please contact our office ( with any questions you might have.

Declaring During Declaration Period

The initial declaration of major usually occurs in the Spring term of the Sophomore year or when the student has EARNED at least 40 credit hours. There is a designated period in February in which Sophomores declare both majors and minors en masse through the College academic departments, without each student needing to file individual declaration forms through the Office of the University Registrar. Contact your planned major/minor department for details.  Students planning to major in the School of Business must complete an application. Please contact the School of Business for more information. A student must declare a major prior to declaring a minor, concentration or foreign area study.

Declaring/Dropping/Changing Outside the Declaration Period

Students must submit change requests via Virtual Campus. No major, minor, concentration or foreign area study will be entered or changed without approval from the department. It is recommended you request changes at least one week prior to the Major/Minor Advising Period.

Only one bachelor’s degree will be conferred even if the student graduates with a double major in which one major is a B.A. and the other major is a B.S. The first (primary) major determines which degree is awarded. Use the request form in Virtual Campus to have the primary major switched. A student may select only ONE of the following options:

  1. A single major
  2. A single major and a minor
  3. A single major and a double minor
  4. A single major and a triple minor
  5. A double major
  6. A double major and a minor

To graduate with option 4 or 6 a student must complete a minimum of 135 hours instead of the usual 120 hours.

In addition to these options, a student may complete the requirements of a foreign area studies program and/or one or more concentrations. A Communication major may declare up to two Communication concentrations but must do so prior to the beginning of his/her final semester. Students must make any desired major or minor changes no later than one week prior to the designated advising period in order to guarantee registration during the major/minor advising sessions.

Available Majors/Minors in the College can be found on the university’s undergraduate majors and minors page.