General Graduation Requirements

  1. Seniors: Did you know you must apply to graduate? Submit a Graduation Application via WIN.  Check DegreeWorks to make sure you have applied. On the top right of the screen “Applied for Graduation” should be yes and your “Expected Graduation Date” should be the date you chose to graduate. Please review your DegreeWorks to ensure you have met all the requirements of your degree.

    Here are the application deadlines for upcoming graduation(s):
    • August Deadline – August 1st
    • December Deadline – September 16th
    • May Deadline – November 30th
    • For information about Commencement visit the Commencement website.
  2. Students must satisfy one of the following options along with a minimum 120 credit hours for graduation:
    1. A single major
    2. A single major and a minor
    3. A single major and a double minor
    4. A single major and a triple minor  (minimum 135 credit hours)
    5. A double major
    6. A double major and a minor (minimum 135 credit hours)
  3. Distinction levels qualifications:
    • Summa Cum Laude – not less than a 3.8
    • Magna Cum Laude – not less than a 3.6
    • Cum Laude – not less than a 3.4


  • Congratulations to December 2021– effective December 30, 2021.
  • Congratulations to August 2021 – effective August 15, 2021.
  • Congratulations to May 2022 – effective May 20, 2022.

Graduation Application Instructions

You can view and download Graduation Application Instructions.

Preferred Name on Diploma

Starting with the spring 2021 graduating class, WFU students will have the option to choose to have their preferred name printed on their diploma. When completing the graduation application in WIN, and verifying your diploma name, make changes on the application as to what name you want printed on your diploma. Each diploma name will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Be mindful if your preferred name differs from your legal name there are a few things that could be an issue in the future: Apostille – diploma apostille can only be provided when using your full legal name. Degree Verification – third parties using preferred diploma name will not be able to verify your degree through the National Student Clearinghouse using a preferred name. Enrollment and degree verifications are provided using your full legal name. Planning to live or work abroad – some countries require your diploma for various legal, immigration, and employment purposes. Choosing to print your preferred name on your diploma may result in complications due to the discrepancy between your diploma name and other documents that contain your full legal name.  Professional Licensing – licensing requirements require you to use your full legal name.  Using your preferred name on your diploma may result in complications or delay (requiring additional proof of identification.

If you decide to change your diploma name back to your legal name after graduation (any time in the future), please note that you will be required to request and pay for a duplicate diploma