Taking Courses Elsewhere

Transfer Credit for Non-WFU Courses Taken Within the U.S.

Please read the following guidelines carefully when considering taking courses elsewhere:

  • To be eligible to take courses at another institution, the student must have a cumulative GPA of no less than 2.0, must not be on probation or suspension from WFU, and must obtain approval of the Office of the University Registrar and the respective academic department in advance.
  • All transfer work taken after enrollment at WFU must be taken at an approved four-year institution.
  • For transfer hours to be accepted, the grade in any course must be C or better.  Courses completed at other institutions with the grade of C- or lower are not awarded transfer credit at WFU.
  • Courses eligible to receive basic, divisional, major, minor, quantitative reasoning, or cultural diversity credit must be taken for a grade, not pass/fail.
  • Any courses taken elsewhere pass/fail must receive prior approval to be eligible for transfer credit.
  • Of the 120 hours required to graduate, at least 60 hours must be institutional credit (credit earned at WFU). Once enrolled at WFU, a student may subsequently count, at most, 30 hours of non-Wake Forest credit.
  • Courses taken outside of WFU that are not based on semester hour credits will not receive a higher conversion value than the value of the WFU course.
  • Grades received for non-institutional credit will not be factored into a student’s WFU GPA. Courses may not be repeated elsewhere to replace grades earned at WFU.
  • All requests for transfer credit from online and distance learning courses are evaluated on an individual basis.
  • No more than 15 credit hours earned through fully online courses may be applied toward graduation; of these, no more than 8 credit hours may be transferred from another institution.
  • Departmental Guidelines for Transfer Credit

    Please reference our Departmental Guidelines for Transfer Credit spreadsheet for more information, by department, about the transfer credit approval process.

  • Transfer Credit for Non-WFU Courses taken Outside the U.S.

    Courses taken outside the U.S. require prior approval from the Center for Global Programs and Studies. Students must obtain program approval and course approval through the Center for Global Programs and Studies. For more information, please see: http://studyabroad.wfu.edu

  • Approval Process

    To seek approval of the Office of the University Registrar, the student must complete an electronic application in WIN for each course for which transfer credit is being sought.

    • Within the application, the student will be able to view all evaluations for courses at the selected institution.
    • If an active approval does not exist for the course desired, the student will be prompted to submit the syllabus for the course.

    The syllabus should:

    • Be for the semester in which you are seeking credit
    • Have the course number, course title, and course value
    • Contain the professor’s name and credentials
    • Provide the total contact hours for the course
    • List the textbook(s) used
    • Provide information on the grading rubric
    • Clearly outline the daily schedule of readings/assignments, including the number of examinations and length and types of papers (particularly important for English or writing intensive courses)

    If this information is not readily available on the syllabus, please contact the institution and/or instructor of the course to obtain this information.

    The request will be forwarded on to the appropriate department to make a determination on approval. The student will be able to see the status of the request, as well as the result of the evaluation, in WIN.

    Note: This process takes time. Do not expect to hear back right away.

    To Access the Application:

    WIN –> Virtual Campus –>Your Student Records –> Transfer Credit Evaluation

  • Official Transcript

    All work attempted at other institutions must be reported to the Office of the University Registrar. It is the student’s responsibility to submit an official transcript regardless of grade earned (and even if not seeking credit). If a student withdraws from or drops courses at other institutions, the official transcript must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.

    If the institution has the capability of sending official transcripts electronically, please have it sent to credits@wfu.edu.

    If the institution sends official transcripts via postal mail, please have it sent to:

    ATTN: Transfer Credits
    Office of the University Registrar
    Wake Forest University
    P.O. Box 7207
    Winston-Salem, NC 27109

    The Office of the University Registrar must receive an official transcript by the following dates to prevent a transcript and graduation hold from being placed on a student’s account.**

    For non-Wake Forest course work completed during:

    TermDue Date
    SpringMay 10
    SummerAugust 10
    FallDecember 20

    **Graduating seniors should email credits@wfu.edu to make arrangements in advance.