Majors/Minors Declarations

Procedure for Declaring or Changing Majors/Minors/Certificates/Foreign Area Studies

The initial declaration of major usually occurs in the Spring term of the Sophomore year or when the students have EARNED 40 credit hours. There is a designated period in which Sophomores declare en masse through the academic departments, without each student having to file an individual declaration form through the Office of the University Registrar. Details of this procedure are distributed to each academic department prior to the sign-up period. Students planning to major in the Schools of Business must complete an application. Please contact the Schools of Business for more information. There is no such formal declaration period for minors. However, a student must declare a major prior to declaring a minor. All minors are declared via form, as described below.

Procedure for Late Declarations and Changes

Forms may be obtained at the Office of the University Registrar or by clicking on the forms link at the left of this screen. No major or minor will be entered or changed without the required signature (s). Only one bachelor’s degree will be conferred, even if the student completes a double major. The first (primary) major determines which degree is awarded. No form is necessary to switch the order of a double major. Please contact the Office of the University Registrar to have the order switched. A student may select only ONE of the following options:

  1. A single major
  2. A single major and a minor
  3. A single major and a double minor
  4. A single major and a triple minor
  5. A double major
  6. A double major and a minor

To graduate with option 4 or 6 a student must complete a minimum of 135 hours instead of the usual 120.

In addition to these options, a student may complete the requirements of a foreign area studies program and/or any of the Romance Languages certificates. A communication major may declare up to two Communication concentrations but must do so prior to the beginning of his/her final semester. Students must make any desired major or minor changes no later than one week prior to the designated advising period in order to guarantee registration during the major/minor advising sessions. Any changes made later will be processed as time allows.