Transferring to WFU

Information Applicable to All Transfer Students

Once a student has been accepted as a transfer student by the Admissions Office, his/her transcript is sent to the Office of the University Registrar and the transfer process begins.

Wake Forest does not maintain articulation agreements with any other college or university – all decisions are made by the chair of the department where credit is being requested as to whether a course will transfer upon a student’s acceptance to the university. The department chair has the right to limit the amount of credit awarded, or to stipulate that a higher level course must be completed here at Wake Forest before a student may receive credit. No evaluations are done prior to a student being admitted. Please refer to specific departmental policies for further information.

There are also limits to the amount of transfer work you can bring into the major. The general rule is that you must take one half of the major at Wake but some departments have more stringent rules. You can direct inquiries about this to the appropriate department.

The Wake Forest departments listed below do not accept transfer work from a 2-year community or junior college:

  • Accounting
  • Anthropology
  • Biology
  • Business and Enterprise Management
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
  • English
  • Finance
  • Philosophy
  • Physics
  • Sociology
  • Women’s Studies

Once you have been admitted to Wake Forest, you will need to submit syllabi for all the courses you took or are taking at your current college or university.

In all cases a student must have earned a grade of “C” or better in order to transfer a course (a “C-” is not transferable). The grades you earned at your prior institution(s) do not factor into your Wake Forest GPA although they will appear on your transcript. You will be starting with a clean slate as far as your GPA is concerned. All work attempted at another college or university must be reported to the WFU Registrar, and all such courses must appear on the Wake Forest transcript. In order to graduate from Wake Forest you must complete at least half of your degree and half of your major at Wake Forest.

Of the 120 hours required for graduation, at least sixty must be earned in Wake Forest programs. Once enrolled at Wake Forest, a student may subsequently count, at most, thirty hours of credit from sources other than Wake Forest programs toward the graduation requirement. (Non-Wake study abroad and summer school elsewhere are considered transfer).

Students who transfer from a school on semester hours will have a 1-1 conversion for their approved transfer courses with these limitations:

  • The amount of credit may be limited by the departmental chair.
  • Wake will not award more credit for a transfer course than the credit awarded for the course at Wake (generally 3 semester hours except for math/sciences).
  • Wake will not award more credit for a transfer course than the credit that is awarded by the original institution.
  • Quarter hours will be converted to semester hours by multiplying by 0.67 (4 quarter hours=2.68 semester hours).

WFU student classification levels are:

  • Sophomore – the completion of no fewer than 25 hours toward a degree
  • Junior – the completion of no fewer than 55 hours toward a degree
  • Senior – the completion of no fewer than 87 hours toward a degree

International Transfer Credits

Admitted students who are applying to transfer academic credits to Wake Forest from international schools will be required to submit their academic records to an outside credentialing service for evaluation for credit. Instructions for this service will be made available after the student has been admitted to WFU.

Any expenses required to perform this service will be paid for by the applicant. All decisions regarding credit transfer will be made by Wake Forest University and all decisions are final.

Advanced Placement

If you took Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams while in high school, please be sure to contact the appropriate Testing Service to have an official copy of your score report sent to WFU. For Advanced Placement scores contact the College Board at 888.225.5427 or International Baccalaureate transcript of grades should be requested from IB-North America at 212.696.4464.

Credits awarded for AP/IB scores are posted on the AP-IB page.

Basic and Divisional Requirements

Information applicable for all transfer students

All students at Wake Forest must take courses in five divisions, as well as several basic courses.

Basic Requirements

  • A first-year seminar
  • English 111 Writing Seminar
  • Foreign Language literature course
  • Health and Exercise Science 100 & 101
  • Quantitative Reasoning requirement
  • Cultural Diversity requirement

Core Studies

I. The Humanities – Religion, Philosophy, and History
II. The Humanities – Literature
III. The Humanities – The Fine Arts
IV. The Social & Behavioral Sciences
V. The Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science

All students, including transfer students, must satisfy these requirements, including taking a First Year Seminar course. If a student transfers in with sophomore standing (25 hours) the student has the option of taking either a First Year Seminar course or a comparable course after consultation with his/her adviser and an associate dean.

Once you are enrolled at Wake Forest you may not take courses to satisfy the math/science, art, English, philosophy or sociology divisional requirements elsewhere, nor may you take community or junior college classes for transfer credit. If you have questions about taking summer school classes at another college or university please contact

For course descriptions and detailed information about current degree requirements, please refer to Requirements for Degrees of the Undergraduate Bulletin.

How are courses evaluated for transfer credit?

Information applicable for all transfer students

As mentioned above, all decisions are made by the chair of the department where credit is being requested as to whether a course will transfer upon a student’s acceptance to the university. Admitted transfer students need to submit a syllabus for all courses taken to send to the appropriate departmental chair for approval.

A syllabus should contain the course name and number, the professor’s name, the textbook(s) used, the grading rubric, the daily schedule of readings/assignments and the length and types of papers (this is particularly important for English or writing intensive courses).

You will receive a letter from the Registrar’s Office along with your acceptance letter from admissions with detailed instructions about where to send the above information. Along with this information, you may want to note whether or not you anticipate credit for any Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams. In such a case, please note the exam you took as well as the score you earned. You must submit an official AP or IB report to the Office of the University Registrar to earn credit. After departmental evaluations have been received by the Office of the University Registrar you will be sent a copy of your approved credits along with information about how your courses fit into the WFU degree requirements. You will also be notified if you need to provide further information about your courses.

What resources exist for me once I am at WFU?

At the start of the fall and spring semesters there are special orientation sessions for transfer students. Representatives from campus offices and departments will provide you with information about all aspects of campus life, both academic and non-academic. You will also be paired with a student adviser and a faculty adviser who can help answer your questions and give you guidance about course selection. Transfer student advisers are usually students who also chose to transfer to Wake Forest.